The BruMan Group
Leigh Manasevit, Esquire
Leigh M. Manasevit has practiced in the field of education law since 1974 beginning as a trial attorney in the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. During his government service, Mr. Manasevit regularly appeared in Federal court representing the United States in civil rights cases involving educational institutions across the nation. Mr. Manasevit’s government experience has given him an extensive familiarity with the intricacies of navigating the Federal bureaucracy and managing school districts.
As one of the two founding partners of Brustein & Manasevit, PLLC, Mr. Manasevit established a law practice that addresses the legal issues involving educational institutions public, private, elementary and secondary, or post-secondary on the Federal level. He has appeared extensively before all tribunals of the U.S. Department of Education and has experience pursuing Federal court review of unfavorable agency decisions.
On the elementary and secondary level Mr. Manasevit worked extensively on No Child Left Behind (NCLB). He advised and trained schools, districts, states, and private providers throughout the nation on implementation of NCLB. He regularly served as a keynote speaker at national and statewide organizations of Title I professionals. Mr. Manasevit co-authored a comprehensive manual on No Child Left Behind, and its predecessor, the Improving America’s Schools Act, and provided editorial consultation on several revised editions.
Mr. Manasevit also has a nationally recognized reputation in the area of special education. He represented schools and school districts across the country in complex special education matters. Mr. Manasevit managed a higher education practice that covered all aspects of compliance with Title IV of the Higher Education Act. This practice included changes of ownership, accreditation, and all adverse actions brought by the U.S. Department of Education.
Mr. Manasevit successfully represented the State of New Mexico in Zuni Public School District 89 v. Department of Education, before the United States Supreme Court.
In 2020, Mr. Manasevit became a Senior Counsel with the Firm.
Bar and Court Admissions:
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1981
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, 1980
- District of Columbia, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1977
- California, 1975
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, CT, J.D.
- Honors: With Honors
- Law Review: Connecticut Law Review, Associate Editor, 1972 – 1974
- Columbia University, New York City, NY, B.A.
- Major: Anthropology and Sociology
- ESSA: Moving Toward a Well-Rounded Title I, 2016
- Federal Education Grants Management: What Administrators Need to Know, 5th Edition, 2015
- The New Title I: The Changing Landscape of Accountability, 8th Edition, 2013
- IDEA New Expectations for Schools & Students, 2008
- New Title I, Balancing Flexibility with Accountability, 2002
- U.S. Department of Justice, Trial Attorney, Civil Rights Division, 1974 – 1979
- U.S. Department of Energy, Assistant Solicitor to the Special Counsel, 1979 – 1980